Easter is just around the corner, which means sitting rooms will soon be littered with Easter Eggs and other variations of chocolate treats. This is something that both children and adults alike look forward to, and it can certainly attract the interest of your four-legged family member too. If we eat too much chocolate, we get a stomach ache, but for dogs, it can be much more serious.

How poisonous is chocolate to dogs?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, which is why it should be kept well out of their reach, even if it is in a box or covered in wrappers. It’s toxic because cacao beans contain theobromine, which is like caffeine to dogs (also poisonous). The darker the chocolate, the higher level of theobromine is present, thus an increased toxicity.

To seek help, you can calculate the risk level based on how much chocolate they have eaten and the type. This chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs is very useful for determining the best steps to take based on the type of chocolate eaten (milk, dark, etc) and the amount. It’s not complicated and it’s easy to complete; you can input answers based on metrics such as small or large dog and a small wrapped chocolate through to chocolate cake. Please note if your dog has consumed chocolate it is highly advised you take them to the vet, eating chocolate can be fatal in dogs.

What happens if a dog eat chocolate?

It can depend on the size of the dog, how much they ate and the type of chocolate (theobromine quantity) as to how they are affected and will subsequently react. But ultimately it is incredibly dangerous if any dog eats chocolate, so it’s paramount that veterinary assistant is sought after as quickly as possible.

We highly recommend that you don’t feed your dog anything that has even a little bit of chocolate in, as it can have serious consequences, including damaging their heart, kidneys or nervous system.

What happens if your dog eats chocolate? How will they react?

If your dog has consumed some chocolate, they start to show some of the symptoms below, which are indications of chocolate poisoning. If your dog experiences any of the last 5 symptoms take them to the vet immediately. However, we would recommend that regardless of symptoms, if you think your dog has eaten chocolate, to call or visit your vet to be safe.

Look out for these symptoms:

Being sick

Diarrhoea

Quickened breathing

Hyperactive/restless

Tremors, incoordination or muscle tension

Increased heart rate

Seizures

It’s important that you closely monitor your dog for the next 24 hours after consumption.

If you don’t want to leave your dog out of the Easter celebrations, there are other natural and doggy-safe treats available. Happy Easter!

Find out more about Dorwest Herbs and our herbal remedies for dogs to improve their general health. If you have any questions about the best ways to ensure your dog gets the best diet, one of our experienced advisors would be happy to help. Please get in touch on 01308 897272 or use our contact form. Plus, get free UK delivery on orders over £50.

Please remember, you should always consult a vet if you are concerned about your pet’s health.