Urinary health for dogs may not be at the top of your list when considering the overall health of your four-legged friend. Perhaps this should change though. Urinary health problems can cause discomfort, distress, and even complications if left untreated. We’re hoping to shine a little more light on this topic, from urinary supplements for dogs to identifying the causes, there are ways in which you can help. Read on to discover the tell-tale signs of potential urine related problems and how herbal pet care can make a positive impact on urinary health…
COMMON URINARY HEALTH PROBLEMS
As with all health problems, they range from minor to those of a more serious nature. The same applies to urinary health. The most common urinary health issues include:
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI’s) & Cystitis
- Bladder Weakness Urinary incontinence
- Bladder Stones
- Chronic Kidney & Bladder conditions
There can be a number of reasons why urinary issues occur but some of these include:
- Age: As your dog gets older, urinary incontinence can become more prevalent due to their muscles weakening. This can often feel worrisome to both you and your dog.
- Bacteria: Some bacteria can cause UTI’s, e.g E-Coli.
- Diet: Dog’s diets (e.g dried & heavily processed foods). These can cause issues like bladder stones which can impact your dog’s urinary health.
- Breed: Any dog can have urinary issues but some dogs are more predisposed to them, such as Yorkshire Terriers or Bichon Frises.
- Sex: Spayed female dogs tend to have more urinary tract issues as bacteria can enter more easily but male dogs can experience issues too.
- Pre Existing Health Conditions: These can mean your dog might be more likely to display symptoms of urinary health issues. For example, those with chronic kidney problems.
TELL-TALE SIGNS OF URINARY HEALTH ISSUES
It’s important to know your dog’s normal urination habits and when these change. This can be really useful when spotting urinary health issues for dogs. Here are five common changes you might like to monitor in your own four-legged friend…
- Urine Colour & Smell: Keep your eyes and nose peeled for any changes to either of these things. For example, does the urine look darker? Is it cloudy? Does it have a strong odour? Is blood present? If you answer yes, it’s possible a problem might be occurring.
- Changes to Urination Habits: Many dogs have a specific routine for their toilet habits. If you notice any changes to their usual patterns, keep an eye on this. For example, are they peeing more/less often? When they pass urine, is it their usual amount or smaller? More frequent trips to the doggy bathroom? Have you noticed excess dripping after they’ve passed urine too?
- Pain: Does your dog show signs of discomfort either when they pass urine or after they pass urine? For example, excessive licking after they’ve been to the loo? This could indicate they’re sore and there could be an issue that needs investigating.
- Accidents at Home: Has your dog started urinating inside your home? Whether this is fully emptying their bladder or patches of urine where they’ve been laying, it could be another sign of urinary health issues.
- Drinking Changes: Have you noticed your dog’s water bowl is emptying a lot faster recently? This could also be another sign of kidney/bladder issues.
***Always consult your veterinary professional if you notice any changes to your dog’s daily habits.
HOW HERBAL PET CARE CAN CONTRIBUTE TO URINARY HEALTH FOR DOGS
At Dorwest Herbs, we’re proud to have a range of herbal pet care products that can naturally help contribute to good urinary health for dogs. Our supplements for dogs can be taken either alone or alongside traditional types of medication.
GREEN RELEAF® TABLETS
Here’s how our Green Releaf® Tablets could help…
- Powerful ingredients: These are filled with a combination of five natural active compounds. There are two which really stand out when it comes to urinary health for dogs; Horseradish (which naturally supports the urinary system) and Parsley (which helps maintain a health pH balance).
- The actions of the ingredients: These natural wonders act as urinary support for dogs by helping to assist in the removal of uric acid. They also ensure the bladder is completely emptied, due to their mild diuretic action. This can help to reduce the possibility of leakage and help your pet feel more comfortable too.
GARLIC & FENUGREEK TABLETS
Here’s how our Garlic & Fenugreek Tablets could also help, when used in conjunction with our Green Releaf Tablets:
As urinary health issues can be caused by bacteria or bladder stones, our Garlic & Fenugreek Tablets can help to treat infection. They work by naturally supporting and strengthening the immune system. This is due to their amazing properties:
- Fenugreek: Anti-inflammatory properties
- Garlic: Known for its antibiotic, antiseptic, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory actions.
Because of this, our Garlic & Fenugreek Tablets can be used as urinary supplements for dogs.
RASPBERRY LEAF TABLETS
We’ve also received reports that our Raspberry Leaf Tablets could help too:
Bladder muscles might weaken as dogs become older. This can lead to involuntary incontinence. Our Raspberry Leaf Tablets are often used during pregnancy to help tone the smooth muscle of the uterus. But, as the bladder is a smooth muscle too, it’s possible this is why some pet parents have found these tablets to be helpful with urinary support for dogs too.
*** Always consult your veterinary professional in the first instance. In particular, if you’re concerned about your dog’s urinary health. A clear diagnosis can ensure your dog receives the most effective treatment.
URINARY HEALTH FOR DOGS
Urinary issues can cause distress both for your dog and for you. We hope you now feel more informed about urinary health for dogs and feel prepared if you notice any changes. Remember, our team are always on hand if you have any questions about how our herbal supplements for pets can help.
As experts in herbal pet care, we provide a range of specially formulated dog supplements which support a variety of common problems and conditions. Chemical free and made from natural ingredients, we have a wide range of herbal products including urinary supplements for dogs. We can advise you on the best products for your dog, so please get in touch if you need any assistance. Contact us by calling +44 (0) 1308 897 272 or send over an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.